Please read on whether you’re in a relationship or not.
It’s that time of year again where the word valentines is being thrown in your face everywhere you turn. Gifts are being brought, plans are being made, excitement is all around – or so it feels.
There’s a few points I want to cover in this blog and by the end of it I want you to feel empowered in any which way that may be. I’ll also like you to think differently about Valentines – Not to see it in its ‘traditional‘ form.
Let’s start with gifts.
These following tips can be applied to any occasion in the year – not just Valentines.
- Make your gift – Maybe you could make a card or a gift set, full of candles, sweets, cookies, cakes for example – put your mind to it and you’ll be able to make it.
- If hand-making isn’t your thing the next step would be to buy from someone you know who crafts things, go on Etsy or buy from small independent businesses. Don’t just pop to Clintons 😛
- Gift seeds or live plants instead of cut flowers. I love being gifted a live plant, there’s such joy in taking care and watching it grow. It’ll also last longer than a week (granted you water it).
- Fancy gifting a watch or some jewellery? Go vintage!
- Maybe a physical gift isn’t on the cards this year and you intend to gift an experience instead. Experiences can either be paid for or free depending on what you choose.
- Don’t buy new underwear or lingerie – Go naked!
Who To Consider
As with everything in life, there’s no fixed rules or path to follow, this is the same with traditions and occasions. Just because a tradition is out in the world does not mean you have to follow it or even continue it, the tradition can stop with you.
When we think Valentines we think of couples and relationships but isn’t the overall message of Valentines Day is giving and receiving love? With this in mind think about who you give love to every day in the year.
What do I mean by this in terms of Valentines Day? It’s simple.
Spend time with loved ones – don’t think you have to be in a relationship to experience this occasion.
Spend time alone – SELF LOVE. This is something we should all give ourselves on Valentines, whether you’re in a relationship or not. How?
- Take a bath with candles
- Read a book
- Go for a walk
- Gift yourself something
- At home spa treatment
- Book yourself into a spa
- Visit friends and family
- Be your own Valentine.
The list for giving self care and love is endless.